Natural Ways to Relieve PMS & PMDD — Herbs, Vitamins & SupplementsSep 14, 2023
- What are symptoms of PMS or PMDD? Anxiety, Sleep Issues, Depression, Heavy Periods, Low Libido, Migraines, Mood Swings, Hair Loss, Breast tenderness, Bloating, hormonal acne along the jawline, cyst, water retention, ….
- What causes these symptoms? Usually they stem from an imbalance in estrogen and progesterone creating a situation of estrogen dominance or relative estrogen dominance.
- What are the top nutrition factors that can contribute to PMS & PMDD?
— Excess Sugar/Processed Foods
— Excess Caffeine & Alcohol. These back up the liver and can cause a stress response in the adrenal.
— Dairy & too much cow milk
- Certain vitamin & mineral deficiencies can also cause PMS & PMDD. One of the game changers for this is magnesium…cramping, sleep issues, breast tenderness, migraines, can be caused from a magnesium deficiency (include types). Also Vitamin B6 (in the active phosphate form) has been shown to help regular serotonin levels in the brain which estrogen as it starts to drop off right before periods is what causes the change in Serotonin which is why you feel like a psycho a few days before your period because your Estrogen is low which means your serotonin is low. B6 & Magnesium can help with stabilizing this and also act as a natural way to lower inflammation and that pms bloating as well.
- Nutrition… blood sugar and eating too little or too low of carbs will mess your hormones and your body up. (I did a whole video on nutrition for your mental health and also a video on how keto affects women differently than men)... .so here’s what happens…you have a hormone called progesterone that is kind of like your antianxiety, calming, relaxing hormone. When this is in balance with your estrogen you don’t really feel too much for PMS or PMDD…what can cause it to go out of balance is when you eat too low in carbs or eat too little calories it puts your body in a state of stress and your body has to increase the amount of cortisol production to give you energy/adrenaline throughout the day because it can’t get it from food…in order for it to do this it takes from your progesterone production in order to increase more cortisol, and you end up feeling like crap and with severe PMS & PMDD. If you don’t know how much you should be eating you can go check out the video I did below on how to find your macronutrients.
- Exercise. One of the ways our body naturally detoxes excess estrogen and other things we don’t need is through sweat. When we exercise it naturally will help detox estrogen on top of helping regulate stress and increase endorphin production. So not only do you lose body fat and look better, but you also will feel better too. On the flip side, over-exercising can also cause an imbalance especially if the body is underfed because it puts the body in a high state of stress.
- Avoid xenoestrogens…these are synthetic estrogens that bind to your estrogen receptors in your body and can cause estrogen dominance. They are found in eating non-organic foods (the herbicide and pesticides), also non grass-fed meat, also in your personal care and home products that aren’t natural. Avoid plastic.
So what do you do? Eat a well-balanced nutrition lifestyle…with plenty of protein, carbs and quality fats. And exercise regularly (5 days a week) with a combination of strength training and HIIT training. Meditation and Mindfulness to help regulate and manage stress. Balance…balance is key.
Now, some herbs and vitamins and minerals that you can use to help reduce PMS & PMDD….
- Magnesium and B6 Phosphate…like I said…
- Herbs like Milk Thistle and Dandelion that help support the liver to flush out and detox excess hormones
- Probiotics in your gut is important in being able to flush out excess hormones and keep them from recirculating in the body ….you should be pooping every day.
- Calcium D-Glucarate…this you want to start with the lowest dose to see how your body feels so the lowest is usually around 250g. What Calcium D-Glucarate does is inhibit the activity of beta-glucuronidase, allowing the processed estrogen to remain bound and excreted from the body.
The body doesn’t just flip out and rebel…there’s a book by Lara Briden called the Fix Your Period…and I like her analogy how your period is like your monthly report card and your body’s way of letting you know if you gave it enough food, sleep, exercise, and how you are managing stress. We hate our periods, but really when they are causing that big of an issue in our life because of all these things it’s typically just letting us know that we really are out of balance and there are other issues in our life that we need to address.
This is a basic overview of PMS and PMDD…there are other things that can cause the issues as well, so I always say I am not a doctor… I am a nutritionist, trained in integrative women's health and functional nutrition, and I’ve been doing this for 15 years…and I do see the body and mind from a holistic perspective, but you always want to listen to your body and do what’s best for you.
CONNECT WITH ME:
📝 Get my weekly emails: https://ashleydrummonds.com
🎙️ Phoenix Rising Podcast: https://phoenixrisingashleydrummonds.libsyn.com/
💪 RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS:
Magnesium Citrate: https://amzn.to/47Tokus
Magnesium Glycinate: https://amzn.to/3qHbuPz
B6 Phosphate: https://amzn.to/3KVX2tN
Calcium D-Glucarate: https://amzn.to/47SXxi8
The Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden: https://amzn.to/3sCfFMP
Get 8 Week Transform Workout & Mindset Program — 8 Weeks of Strength training workouts to boost fat loss while building lean muscle that takes less than 20 minutes, and you can do anywhere with just a pair of dumbbells. Over 40+ workout tutorial videos to show you exactly how to do each workout and modify to your fitness level. Plus, 8 Weeks of Guided Meditation and Mindset Coaching Videos with me as your personal coach to help you reprogram your mindset to become your strongest and most empowered self. Get the 8-Week Program here: https://www.ashleydrummonds.com/transform
Get Your Personal Lab Based Nutrition with 25% Off — Ready to take your health and fitness to the next level? Get your custom lab work done with over 40+ biomarkers for optimal health using my partners at InsideTracker Link: http://shrsl.com/22uo2-20z6-vw28 discount code for 25% off: DrummondsPro25
PS: Some links in this description are affiliate links that I do receive a commission from for sharing with you 🥰
Get my free newsletter with the latest podcast episodes, tools and promotions to help you live your best life!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from me.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.